The Write Stuff

Wednesday, March 29, 2006


I Wish I May, I Wish I Might...

Have you ever heard of the subjunctive mood? If not, don't despair; most people couldn't tell you what it is. However, I bet that most of them would use it correctly even without knowing why.

The subjunctive is a mood of will, a mood of desires. We use it when we wish something. When we're in our wishful thinking mode, we change our verb to reflect our dreamy mood. Usually that means using were when we would normally use was. Basically, use were after the verb wish and after if, as if, and as though when you're talking about a condition that isn't really true.

Examples
I wish I were an actress (but I am not).
If I were you, I'd give him a call (but I am not).
He acts as if he were the president of the organization (but he's not).
I spoke as though I were the boss (but I'm not).

However (you just knew there had to be a but coming), if the statement can be true, then you use was and not were.

If Sue was at the bus station (and she was), I missed her.
It appeared as though the writing was slanted (and it was).

Try your hand at these:

1. She behaves as though she (was/were) in charge.
2. I wish I (was/were) as competent as James.
3. If the estimate (was/were) correct, why did they reject it?
4. If Sue (was/were) responsible, she would reorganize the department.
5. He tries to act as if he (was/were) experienced.

If you answered were, were, was, were, were then you have learned the subjunctive mood!

For more fun (yes, we are having fun) with the subjunctive mood, visit the Guide to Grammar and Get It Write.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home